Metaphor provides marketers with immensely powerful tools: a means of tapping into the intangible emotions and aspirations that dominate human lives and personalities.
Yet the power of metaphors mean they must be handled with care. In this feature we look at how the meaning of familiar metaphors shifts between markets – and how translating them is crucial for effective brand planning:
- Why communicating emotion depends on metaphor
- How brands can summon concepts and themes that connect on a deeply emotive level
- Marketing’s most successful metaphors – and what brands can learn from them
- Why translating metaphors is vital for global marketers
- How cultural archetypes provide a framework for tracking shifting metaphor meanings